Thursday, October 27, 2005

Miers Withdraws

Though I'm disappointed in the loss for President Bush, I'm consoled by the fact that its a win for conservatives. Wasn't it amazing how the Democrats have been left out of the debate altogether? One thing that disturbed me was something that appeared in the news yesterday from a 1993 speech by Miers:

In a 1993 speech to a Dallas women's group, Miers talked about abortion, the separation of church and state, and how the issues play out in the legal system. "The underlying theme in most of these cases is the insistence of more self-determination," she said. "And the more I think about these issues, the more self-determination makes sense."

I know people do change, but it would be better to nominate someone with a consistent conservative judicial view. Even Reagan was fooled by Sandra O'Connor, so don't fault Bush too much.

Update- Murdoc discusses the "New Coke" theory.