Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Iraq's Cowboy General

This interesting story is from CNN:

At 38, General Talabani is the youngest general in the history of the Iraqi army. He's a slight man, with a mischievous demeanor, silent determination and a way with words.
"I am an Iraqi Kurdish soldier in the New Iraqi Army," he said. "I am a soldier, I never work like general with my soldier, nothing is between me and my soldier." It's not bluster.


Last week Talabani was on his stomach shooting back at insurgents who were firing rocket-propelled grenades at the Buhritz police station, just south of the provincial capital Baquba. He also led a chase of attackers in Udaim, north of Baquba -- he was the first through the door of the house where the attackers fled. He wounded one insurgent in the ensuing firefight and captured another.

This is good news and I hope more Iraqi's step up to the plate like this patriot.