Wednesday, January 24, 2007

"Still the president of the United States"

Jules Crittenden's analysis of the State of the Union address:

America loves to see someone who’s been beaten down and knocked around stand his ground and fight back.
I didn’t expect to see George Bush do that, not with the unapologetic confidence I saw last night. I even started out disgusted by the feel-good bipartisanship and the sugar-coating...


My own favorite part of the speech was at this moment:

“Whatever you voted for, you did not vote for failure. Our country is pursuing a new strategy in Iraq, and I ask you to give it a chance to work. And I ask you to support our troops in the field, and those on their way.”

And Jules continues:

And at that moment, no matter what they said about it later, Bush had them. They all applauded, many of them against their will. They had no choice. Because he was right.