Friday, July 21, 2006

Israel's War of Attrition

This short article from the Washington Times suggests Israel knows what its doing in Lebanon. I tend to agree:

We asked a former Navy combat pilot to assess the Israeli air force's war against Hezbollah. He told us: "I'm reminded of the 1982 war with Syria. I was sitting off the coast of Lebanon on the USS Independence. Every day there would be headlines about how the Syrians had shot down another Israeli aircraft. A close look at the news clips showed that they had actually shot down a UAV [unmanned aerial vehicle]/drone — not an Israeli aircraft. This was, in fact, an Israeli tactic. They knew how many SAMs [surface-to-air missiles] Syria had and were counting down the attrition rate. They denied Syria any Soviet resupply of those SAM assets. When Israel had determined that Syria had expended their inventory of SAMs, they launched a tremendous air strike against Syria, which resulted in a victory within about 48 hours. "So, today, I think the war of attrition is still the plan.

Read the rest. If I were an Israeli general, I would draw Hezbollah as close as I could toward the border, then hit them in the rear with an amphibious invasion, ala MacArthur at Inchon.