Thursday, March 20, 2008

Waiting for the Trans-racial Candidate

Michael Myers of the NY Civil Rights Coalition says Obama "blew it". From the LA Times:

I waited in vain for our hybrid presidential candidate to
speak the simple truth that there is no such thing as "race," that we all belong
to the same race -- the human race. I waited for him to mesmerize us with a
singular and focused appeal to hold all candidates to the same standards no
matter their race or their sex or their age. But instead Obama gave us a full
measure of racial rhetoric about how some of us with an "untrained ear" --
meaning whites and Asians and Latinos -- don't understand and can't relate to
the so-called black experience.


Well, I am black, and I can't relate to a "black experience"
that shields and explains old-style black ministers who rant and rave about
supposed racial differences and about how America ought to be damned. I long ago
broke away from all associations and churches that preached the gospel of hate
and ethnic divisiveness -- including canceling my membership in 100 Black Men of
America Inc., when they refused my motion to admit women and
whites.



Please read the rest.