Varifrank lists 8 Lessons, but here is the his top 5 from America's first Day of Infamy:
- Nothing starts a war faster than someone having the stray idea that you really don't want to fight.
- Just because your enemy has its ambassadors in your capital speaking to you about peace doesn’t preclude the fact that they don’t also have a fleet of aircraft carriers on their way to strike your fleet.
- Talks about peace are almost always diplomatic cover for the military to do what it does at a time of their choosing.
- Your enemy doesn’t work to your schedule.
- Your big bad battleship is tomorrow's sunken target.